05 Dec Delicious homemade “MANOOSHE”!
When you feel a little inventive on a Friday morning and want to make your own mouth-watering Lebanese breakfast instead of heading down to the Lebanese Local Restaurant in Tecom that has always been offering you the yummiest Lebanese Meals in Tecom you got us with the amazingly delicious and practical solution.
Manooshe is a rounded flat disc of bread that is usually covered with (thyme, sesame seeds and semac) mixed with olive oil then baked in the oven or on top of the traditional saj.
If you ask any Lebanese person about the widely-loved and known “Manooshe”, you would end up with some childhood story somewhere around the territory of Lebanon. Every Lebanese knows “Manooshe” and every Lebanese loves it.
Today, we decided to help you out with this small creation of yours for you to enjoy the unmistakably favorite Lebanese breakfast: “Mankooshe”!
First of all, you need get the needed ingredients ready:
– 5 cups of white flour
– ¾ vegetable oil
– 1 and ¾ cups of water
– 2 tablespoons of salt
– 2 tablespoons of sugar
– 1 tablespoon of yeast
– ½ cup Zaatar mix (you could buy it from the Middle Eastern grocery shop) adding some olive oil while making sure to add some roasted sesame seeds to the mix.
Method of preparation:
Here you have to mix all the ingredients except for the water all together in a large bowl. Create a well in the middle and add some water.
– Knead the dough
– You need to make it softer than pizza dough yet it has be much stickier to hold together
– You need to leave it aside to rise for an hour while covered with a humid cloth
– Heat the oven to 220 C
– Spread some dough on a tray
– Use your fingertips to make its thickness just like pizza’s
– Now spread the greenish thyme mix you had prepared
– Put the manooshe in the oven for around 15 minutes
– You could take it out as soon as the bottom side of it looks golden (if you like it to be crispy, then leave it for a little longer)
P.S. you are highly advised to complement your Lebanese breakfast with some side bites to eat along with your “Manooshe”:
– Chopped tomatoes
– Sliced cucumbers
Do not forget that you could have some hot black tea with cinnamon to drink while you’re enjoying your incredibly delicious and self-prepared Lebanese breakfast with a group of your friends.